This hall is the largest space in Palazzo Vecchio and, from an art-historical perspective, it is probably the most important.
The structure was created in 1495 by Simone del Pollaiolo known as ‘il Cronaca’ and commissioned by friar Girolamo Savonarola, during the period of restoration of the Florentine Republic.
The imposing hall used to be the seat of the Great Council of the Republic composed exactly of 500 members of the city government.
The hall is embellished by a magnificent coffered ceiling, walls decorated with immense frescoes by Vasari, and 11 marble statues amongst which the famous ‘Genio della Vittoria’ by Michelangelo stands out, not to mention the hidden charm of the ‘Battaglia di Anghiari’, a work by Leonardo da Vinci believed to be located behind Vasari’s frescoes.
Twice a month (except August)